I remember reading this book for Children's Lit class called "Serendipity". It tells of a girl who read the word serendipity in the paper, became fascinated with the word and was not quite satisfied with her mother's explanation, so the little girl went out on a quest to find out what it really meant. I have kinda forgotten exactly how she went about with her search but it more or less followed this pattern: Could serendipity be the feeling I get when I'm high up on a swing? (as she swings back and forth) Could serendipity be the leaves falling from the tree? (as she dances amidst the falling leaves causing the people around to also join her) Could serendipity be this little puppy in my arms? (as she nuzzles and kisses the puppy) and so on and so forth.
So what is serendipity? The girl's mother called it "finding happiness in the most unlikely places", which was exactly what the little girl discovered on her search.
I think that this world would be so much better if we were to find happiness in the little things around us and the little gestures of love and kindness bestowed upon us. Sure, having lotsa money and a great epic-story-kind-of-love affair is fantastic, but sharing a quiet evening bonding with a good friend can also be just as amazing.
Call me shallow but these really do make me happy.
1. Knowing that my friends will listen and commisserate with me when I whine (for the nth time) about how X is so much happier than I am right now.
2. My Malcolm friends and how we can just hang out for hours without doing anything at all.
3. Warm brownie cup at this place in Banilad, Cebu.
4. The Sunday paper.
5. The start of every month, because that means new magazines!
6. Driving around aimlessly with Riza and Peachy.
7. Congregating at the Mojes or the Wagas when the gang's all complete.
8. Teasing my nephew (No baby, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you!)
9. Gossiping with Tessa about our dysfunctional relatives.
10. Hearing my tatay's Dolphy jokes at the dinner table.
11. Watching my mother embarass my siblings as she reduces them to being 3 year olds once again (Baby! Shamangalangga-langga!) and then seeing my siblings cringe with embarassment (specially Krissy, who's the most pikon among us all).
12. Toiletries shopping.
13. My blog and anything about blogging in general.
14. Making lists :)